Thursday, April 9, 2015

The Social Status of an Adolescent

When Jason explains the social hierarchy and how precarious it is, he describes how the coolest people go by their first name. The people in the middle go by their last name (Jason goes by "Taylor"), and the people on the bottom of the ladder go by a nickname. For example, Dean Moran goes by "Moron". Jason describes this ladder as easy to fall down but difficult to climb up. He is constantly self-editing, trying to preserve his standing. For example, in "Hangman", he is nervous to give a speech in front of the class because he is afraid that kids will make fun of him for his stammer. He also makes an effort not to be seen with Dean too much because Dean isn't cool and the other kids might make fun of him.

Socially, Middle School was my least favorite time socially. Before that, everyone was oblivious and enjoyed each other regardless of other factors. In High School, we've come to the realization that little things don't matter, and if someone doesn't like another person, they simply avoid interactions with that person.

Middle School, which is where Jason appears to be, is right in between, where people judge and haven't yet realized that it doesn't matter. I remember a moment where there were four or so people standing around me asking me why I wore sweatpants all the time, and how it looked pretty stupid. I wasn't really "bullied" in middle school, but moments like those happened where other kids would make me feel bad for no reason. I definitely see that in Jason's classmates (and Hugo!) when they say and do mean things.

Middle School is the worst time, and we get to see Jason during that transition.

9 comments:

  1. Yeah you described the dynamic perfectly. It is interesting that we get to see this in action as well as being carefully explained. the social life of an early teen is pretty interesting and not often discussed. It would be cool to hear the point of view of all the different positions on the ladder as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I predict that we will see Jason climb to the tip of the ladder at least for a time, so we get to see what it looks like from that perspective.

      Delete
  2. Middle school is the worst time; I won't hesitate to agree. But I think that it's important that this is set when he's 13, thus, he'd be going through eighth grade (I think?). In terms of coming of age, I find myself wondering if that's too short or even too early to "come of age". Like, you still have four years of high school to work your way through, you don't need to reach enlightenment when you're just thirteen years old. But perhaps he'll be able to make his way through high school well equipped to deal with all the bs that comes flying at him, or something similar of that nature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Middle School definitely was the worst. However in elementary school I still felt like I had social complications. In K/1st grade things were very simple: you ask someone to be your friend and then they are your friend. But when I was in 4th/5th I had two best friends who actually bullied me a lot. Sometimes they made me feel bad, but I honestly didn't really realize that I was being bullied and that they were doing this on purpose. I thought that was just how things worked and that I was just sensitive. Looking back, and having recently reconnected with the girls who did the bullying, I can confirm that yes it really was bullying. This is similar to how Jason is naive, but It's also different because when it comes to his friends and his social group, he definitely knows what's up. With his family (/Julia)... not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have these moments where we thought something was okay, but we look back and think, "wow, that was not okay." I have quite a few of these moments from my early adolescence.

      Delete
  4. I can definitely see some parts of my middle school self in Jason. The self-editing, which I think is an extremely good way to put it, and the constant social nervousness was my definition of middle school. It will be interesting to explore how Jason transforms throughout the novel. As we know, Black Swan Green takes place over a period of one year, an eternity for developing middle schoolers. I look forward to seeing how his coming-of-age, or maybe just his general development, compares to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's interesting to see how peer dynamics are almost identical in a lot of places, even if you aren't living in exactly the same area or time frame. School every now and then could be difficult socially because it's where you are at most of the time, and you want to fit in. I went through the issues you described a little earlier in life, but I still from time to time feel a bit insecure. Like Ema mentioned, I'm really curious to see how Jason develops, and compare it to my own childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree. Middle school was a TERRIBLE time for me as well. Like you said, many people just made others feel bad for no reason and we definitely see that in this novel. I'm glad we get to see him during this time period as well because it's at a time where a lot of changes happen that can be important in the coming of age process

    ReplyDelete